Melanie Wells joined Canadian Council on Rehabilitation and Work (CCRW) as the facilitator of the virtual employment Program Empower. She comes with a sociology background and is focused on providing trauma and violence informed programming that is accessible to job seekers at all stages of their employment journey.
Reach out to her if you have any questions about the program or just to say hi!
Empower is an online program open to any female identifying disabled job seekers 18+, we can be as hands on or off as suits the client. The program is a comprehensive pre-employment skills development, trainings and wrap around supports. We work with the virtual site and can serve people nationally and locally. Being virtual site also allows for very flexible programming for parents, under employed folks.
Our services and benefits for participants:
- Pre and post employment assessments including, Occupational Skills Assessment, Workplace Accommodation Assessment, Ergonomic Assessments, Functional Capacity Evaluation on a case-by-case basis.
- Trainings: First Aid, Food Safety, Interview Skills, resume building, workplace preparation and various online courses for pre-employment and specific skills training.
- Identifying and implementing accommodations specific to the individual.
- 10-week wage subsidy agreements for employers, offsetting costs during training period.
- Supports including counselling, job coaches, childcare assistance, emergency funds and more.
- We work with the employers to create a more inclusive workplace.
- Access to our employer partners to help increase opportunities in equitable and accommodating workplaces.
CCRW is the pre-eminent Canadian center of excellence on the economic, social and psychological aspects of disability (be it one or more physical, sensory, medical, learning or mental health disability), as they impact people’s ability to seek, acquire and retain productive employment.